Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Lazy Granada Days

Was deciding whether to stay a night in Managua when the sudden downpour forced me onto the bus.

MASAYAMASAYAMASAYAGRANADAGRANADAGRANADA screamed the bus guy. Beads of sweat flying in all directions from his body. Chill, dude. Then the bus driver got ticketed by the police for having too many people on the bus.

Granada and its faded façades called to me in a old hoarse voice that begged me to remember its long gone glory days, as if I had visited once a hundred years ago. It was tired. And I was tired.





But came midnight and I found myself dancing to deafening hiphop in an almost abandoned nightclub by the lake. And new friends.

So I decided to stay an extra day.

We couldn't find the choo choo train, but i got my laundry done and we played ping pong and drank iced coffees, my first ice coffee that didn't draw a disgusted and perplexed stare from the waitress.

At the end of the lazy afternoon, I looked out at the street from the coffee shop and finally remembered the glory days of Granada.

No comments:

Post a Comment